Start-up Law Firm Marketing Strategy
A Start-up Law Firm Marketing Strategy is one of the smartest things a new law firm owner can do for their start-up law firm is to take the time to develop a law firm marketing strategy that will set them apart from the competition.
A start-up law firm marketing strategy clearly outlines how you’ll reach your ideal clients by efficiently implementing your marketing plan. There are many ways you can promote your law firm, effectively. With the right mix of activities, you can identify and concentrate on the most efficient marketing tactics for your new law firm. Here is a large list of 101 start-up law firm marketing thoughts to get you thinking about all of the different ways you can promote your business.
Marketing is about finding your ideal client and sharing your message on how you will make their lives perfect. To do that, you need to identify and research your target market, decide how your business will stand out, and develop a plan. Here’re strategies to get started:
- Update or make a marketing plan for your business
- Revisit or start your market research
- Conduct a concentrated group
- Write a perfect selling proposition (USP)
- Refine your target niche and audience
- Match advantages to your features to use for creating efficient marketing messages
Be prepared with materials you can share online or off. Things such as business cards are inexpensive, simple to hand out and give you credibility. You should have something with you that you may give to a lead. These materials should be transferred to online resources like a website, as a digital presence is critical to success.
- Make or update your business cards
- Create your business card to stand out from the rest (thicker paper, add a QR code, promote your social media site for them to follow.
- Make or update your brochures, post cards, etc.
- Build a website for your law firm. It is imperative to create a website full of resources so the visitor returns to find any question they may have.
- Make a digital version of your brochure for your site, social media pages, and emails.
- Get original with promotional products and give them away at the next networking event you attend. Try to pick swag people will not be quick to throw away…calendars, magnets, or useful items they will likely use and see your brand, again.
The digital world has made marketing simple and affordable, but that does not mean you should not get out into the world to promote your new law firm. Even if your marketing is primarily online, consider adding networking to your marketing tactics. Remember, success in the legal business is around relationships, and networking lets you make the kinds of relationships that lead to sales, referrals, and other essential growth for your law firm.
- Rent a booth at a trade show
- Introduce yourself to other attorneys
- Plan a local legal workshop to answer questions
- Write an elevator pitch
- Register for a conference
- Join your local chamber of commerce
Direct mail is an expense, but when done correctly and in the right sequence, it is powerful! Direct mail results in 5 times more sales than email.
- Launch a multi-piece direct mail campaign-postcard, brochure, printed blog, a magnet business card.
- Create bulky mail- ie: drop a pen, a small note pad, or a magnet business card. A person is much more likely to open your mail if there is something inside they are curious to see.
- Make multiple approaches, and split test your mailings to measure the effect. (Send mail after an inquiry, after a consultation, a “Thank You” after a client retains your service, a referral reminder, etc.
- Include a clear and enticing call to action on each direct mail piece- always encourage them to reach out, or to refer you to others they know who may need your services.
- Use tear cards, props, inserts, and attention-getting envelopes to make an effect with your mailings. I have always found that bright colored envelopes tend to work best.
- Send past client’s a discount for future services.
Social Media Marketing
You need to be on social media. There are billions of users active on social media daily and your audience is out there. Why not use this FREE resource to drive potential clients to your website? This not only lets you share about your business but also build a relationship and trust with your market. Most importantly it is the best vehicle to drive people to your website. But such as all other forms of law firm marketing, you want to keep your market in mind in terms of knowing where to find them and how-to talk to them.
You need to show your authority, your expertise, educate your audience, encourage your audience, and of course, post content they are more likely to share with others. It is also important to be aware of the facebook algorithms and what makes them tick. If you’re not posting engaging content, you’re not going to reach many people. Ultimately, a social media strategy needs to be created and implemented. Go where your market hangs out to learn about what you do. If your market likes to use Facebook to learn about products and services that you provide, then you should be on Facebook.
- Get started with social media for business
- Make a Facebook page for your business
- Get a clear username and URL for your Facebook Page. (your username should be uniform for all social media platforms)
- Make a Twitter account and start following experts and influencers in your industry
- Reply or retweet somebody else on Twitter
- Set up a 4-square account for your business
- Make a LinkedIn profile for you and your business
- Begin a business blog
- Write blog posts regularly
- Make an Instagram account
- Make an editorial calendar for your social content and blog
With the growth of social media, few have said email marketing is dead. However, people on your email list are further interested and committed to your law firm. It is simple to click follow on social media, but customers are not so simple to give out their email. When they do, it means they want to know what you services you provide and how your law firm can help them.
- Make an email opt-in on your website
- Provide a free download or gift to entice people to give you their email address (an e-book, checklist, etc)
- Send regular emails to your list
- Start a monthly email newsletter and offer free legal advice
- Use A or B testing to measure the effectiveness of your email campaigns, and consider segmenting the list to great target your markets’ interests
- Unique your email signature
- Add video, audio, and social sharing functionality to your emails
Contests, and Incentives
People love free stuff and discounts. Just be sure you follow the laws about giveaways and contests.
- Start a contest (One of the best campaigns I’ve ever ran was a Free Divorce Giveaway. This racked up thousands of leads, at the small cost of one, uncontested divorce.
- Make a referral program- while the laws are tricky about this, there are certain things you are able to do to thank someone for a referral. But the best way to start a referral program is with other attorneys who are not practicing the same type of law you are.
- Start a customer appreciation or a brand ambassador program- be sure to thank people for trusting you with their legal case. Not many attorneys give thanks. They take the money, do the work, and that’s all. Give your clients a great client experience.
- Give away free resources and/or advice
Legal marketing is about making awareness of your law firm. Once you have people’s attention, you need to build trust and rapport, whether that is via email, website or social media.
- Concentrate on building a relationship, not making a sale.
- Send out a client satisfaction survey
- Ask for referrals
- Make a referral
- Help volunteer or promote your time for a charity event
- Sponsor a local sports team
- Cross-promote your products or services with other local businesses
- Join a professional organization
- Plan your next holiday promotion
- Plan holiday gifts for your perfect customers
- Send birthday cards to your customers
- Approach a colleague about a joint venture
- Donate branded prizes for local fundraisers
- Become a mentor
Content is king. Providing beneficial or entertaining content can attract people to your law firm, where you can then entice them to retain your services. This can come in several forms, from text and video to graphics and more.
- Create a free teleconference or webinar
- Record a podcast
- Write a press release
- Repurpose content to share in other places. For instance, take YouTube content and splice for Instagram TV or Facebook. Or use the audio from the video on a podcast
- Self-publish a book
There are so many ways to build your law firm, but the most important thing about legal marketing is thinking outside the box. Go above and beyond with your marketing and do what other attorneys are not doing. In a world where attorneys are a saturated market, you owe it to your law firm to think out side the box with your marketing and build a unique and effective marketing strategy.
BDEC Marketing Group serves law firms around the nation from digital marketing to law firm marketing strategy and implementation. Our legal marketing coaching is effective and a sure-fire way to light the engines when it comes to your law firm marketing.